Sunday, December 6, 2020

Sherry Cake

 When I was a little girl, this cake was a sign that Christmas or Easter were imminent. Every year, without fail, my Mom made this cake for my Grandmother (her mother). My grandmother always enjoyed it with a dollop of whipped cream, but my husband and I will eat the leftovers right out of the pan. Sometimes we even stop for a plate and fork. Sometimes. 

This cake is super easy, delicious and pretty. I hope you give it a try and it becomes a holiday dessert staple in our home. Pro Tip: the corner pieces are the best!


This is not the recipe to use expensive sherry. I use Sheffield sherry, regular or cream, it makes no difference. (Cream sherry does not contain cream) I have used more expensive sherry and the cake did not taste as good. So save the good stuff for wine and cheese night. Buy a bottle of the cheap stuff and keep it under the sink like my mom did, and pull it out for this cake.


Mom's Sherry Cake

4 eggs

1 box yellow cake mix

1 large box (5.1 oz) instant vanilla pudding 

1 cup of sherry

2/3 cup neutral tasting oil, such as vegetable or canola (do not use olive oil)


This recipe can be made with or without a mixer.

In a bowl, add the eggs and give them a quick whisk to break them up. Add cake mix, pudding mix, sherry and oil and mix to combine. 

Pour into greased 13x9 inch pan (Pyrex) and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean, when center of cake is pricked.

While the cake is still warm, use a fork and prick the cake all over. Be careful, the cake is hot, the pan is hot and the crumb can be tender. 

In a separate bowl combine the following:

3 cups of powdered sugar

2/3 cup sherry

Pour the mixture evenly over the still warm cake. It is all right if there are little bits of powdered sugar on top of the cake.

Allow the cake to cool completely and serve alone or with a dollop of whipped cream. 

No comments: